Friday, January 4, 2013

How To Make New Year’s Resolutions Work: Create New Daily Habits



Happy New Year! For many of us, this is the time we reflect on the past year and make resolutions for the coming one. Do you already have your list of resolutions for 2013? Or maybe you have some ideas, but are not sure where to start?

At the beginning of last year, I recommended setting intentions and creating new daily habits instead of setting goals for the year. (See: Stop Setting Goals)  If we want to make real changes in our lives, we have to change our habits. And that takes daily practice.

So here we are, a year later. How did my practice of daily habits work out? I started by saying that I wanted to spend more time in nature and spend at least 5 minutes going outside every morning. Well, my boyfriend and I ended up adopting a puppy, so that habit has evolved to taking a walk every morning with our dog. As a result, I am now getting much more time than 5 minutes in nature. =)

I also wanted to get back to a contemplative practice. I have tried all sorts of things over the years, from journaling to meditating to trying yoga. I finally discovered Tai Chi a few years ago, and it is the practice that I find most restorative. I used to take Tai Chi classes in the morning, but wasn’t able to continue them when I moved. So for the last few months, I have been practicing Tai Chi in the park, at the end of my daily morning walk. I am happy that it is now part of my morning ritual.

Another practice has been to choose love over fear. To choose the positive over the negative. I have a picture of my Inner Champion (see: Meet Your Inner Champion) next to my desk, and he reminds me of all the good, positive aspects I want to choose in my life every day: joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, generosity, empathy, compassion, faith, and truth. It is a daily practice, because so much around us is based on fear, anger, resentment, ego, etc. So we have to choose what and who we want to surround ourselves with.

For this coming year, I want to continue these practices and the ones I started in previous years (like my daily acknowledgments and gratitudes), as well as add new ones. The one I am currently working on is finding a daily restorative practice in the afternoon. An afternoon walk with our doggie is not enough, so I am trying out different things to see what works best. Once I tackle that habit, I will focus on others.

I would like to invite you to join me in setting new daily habits for this year that will make a positive impact on your life and that you will enjoy. What do you most deeply desire for 2013? What daily habit would best support you?

Let’s make 2013 great!

No comments:

Post a Comment